About the Blog

This is my diary....what I make sense of, around me. You'll find short prose on contemporary topics that interest me. What can you expect - Best adjectives? …. hmm occasionally, tossed around flowery verbs ?…. Nope, haiku-like super-brevity? … I try to. Thanks for dropping by & hope to see you again

January 5, 2011

A nature trail & the new Year

I am penning my thoughts after a 2 week break which took me to  a wonderful Nature park near Madikeri and the pristinely clear water beach of Maravanthe in Karavali district. Amidst this I also had the luxury of mixing a bit of Business with pleasure ,so on the way I addressed a good gathering of Govt officials in Mysore , a few Business calls In Mangalore  and a bit of follow-up in Dharwar after that. All in all  1650 Kms of sojourn it was and with all  the hectic driving & the body creaking of exhaustion I was  back in Bengaluru yesterday. 

Eventful it was but it had not prepared me to lose my mobile during the trip which I did in Mysore. I thought I was ensconced in a secure area (the  old sprawling Govt bungalow which is the official Guest House of the Forest Dept is surrounded by  high walled  compound & a security post at the gates) and during the evening sit out on its sprawling veranda facing well manicured garden  I left my mobile  on the chair only to find it missing in the morning. The Vodafone service (or disservice) after the incident  is better left unsaid for it will fill the rest of the article. 

After the Mysore schedule I drove down to Kushalnagar where I stayed at Nisargadhama (nature park of the Karnataka Forest dept) for a day. The Mercara district forest officer had invited me to stay over before visiting their Mercara offices.  This island  in the hub of the river Cauvery is a scenic & serene place  and tourists can also stay in one of the few (only 4-5 thankfully) cottages at a very reasonable price (I payed zilch though as I was the official guest of the KFD). After entering the island through the rope bridge, we were ushered into the ‘Kannika” cottage where  we just slept through the afternoon amidst the distant  noise & chatter of the thronging visitors. However by 6 in the evening  the area fell into deathly silence (after the park closed for visitors) and this  lively  nature park is  best experienced during this period. Sitting by the river side & with a riot of noises around  I penned the following lines to describe the experience;

A  drooping  cottage by the river
Stands high on a pile of bamboo pillars
Perched on its banks, its small veranda
Reaching out to kiss the river
Water by the side , in a haze of light green
Whispers as she flows through the rocks
Bamboo stocks, aplenty
Crackle  sporadically  in mystified voices
In between the  chitter chatter of the thickly wooded park
Telling us something , about  nature’s  benign voice
As do the fishes, playfully  whipping up  the surface of the river
Birds in the surrounding woods , do the real tweets
Oh!....Nature trails are so sweet.

Christmas eve was spent in Udupi & we did manage to visit one of the church in town on 25th but all the pomp & revelry had gotten over the previous evening. So much so that not a soul was visible in the church on the Christmas day.   

And  New Year ushered us at the old Deccan Gymkhana club in Dharwar town, next to it was the sprawling KC (Kittur Channamma) park where two  colorful  water fountains sprung  to life randomly in  colors of green blue & red symbolically reminding us of the hope, joys and sorrows that lay ahead in 2011.   
    
 Wishing all my readers a Happy & Prosperous New Year.

Post a Comment

Feedburner Count