Visiting China was a multisensory experience. In my previous blog, I briefly touched upon the visual and the gustatory experience. This time around, I want to turn down the lights, so to speak, and focus on another fascinating dimension of China - the auditory experience.
As a visitor, you invariably end up at the common tourist spots in China. And while these places are spectacular, the crowds can sometimes be quite challenging. The Chinese seem to have found a rather ingenious solution: audio instructions that play continuously, endlessly, relentlessly… presumably to keep the crowds moving in the right direction.
I couldn’t make head or tail of what was being said. Mandarin was, of course, completely beyond my comprehension. But after hearing the same instructions repeated over and over, the words almost ceased to matter. What remained was the sound - its rhythm, tone and relentless repetition.
🔊 Rhythmic announcements at Tourist security check points:
I had a somewhat similar experience - but thankfully without the prospect of freezing to death in orbit!
The Descent from Pandora
After visiting the Tianmen Mountains - yes, those incredible floating mountains that look as if they have been lifted straight out of Avatar -we began our descent through the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. By then, it was evening. Outside the bus, it was almost completely dark, and the mountains had disappeared into the night.Inside the park shuttle bus, however, there was this continuous loop of audio playing somewhere around us.
🔊 rhythmic announcements inside Tourist Bus:
For a fleeting moment, I felt like Ryan Stone in Gravity, sitting inside her little capsule, hurtling through an alien landscape, listening to a voice she couldn’t understand.
Only difference was that my capsule was a Chinese tourist bus, and I knew exactly where I was going. At least I hoped the driver did!
Street-Side Symphonies
Of course, the acoustic landscape of China isn't just institutional; it's fiercely entrepreneurial.
Chinese street hawkers are masters of auditory marketing, possessing a creativity that puts Madison Avenue to shame. Forget quiet charm—these vendors lean hard into modern technology. I lost count of how many times I walked past a fruit stall where a tiny, unassuming cart was outfitted with a heavy-duty loudspeaker, cheerfully broadcasting a pre-recorded sales pitch on an infinite loop.
Even if you don't know the word for dragon fruit or lychee, you can't escape the infectious, booming enthusiasm of the invisible announcer hyping up the produce. It’s loud, it’s brilliant, and long after you’ve left the alleyway, that pitch is still bouncing around inside your head.
Perhaps that is the beauty of travel. You don’t always need to understand the language to understand the experience.
Sometimes, the sound itself tells the story.
Chinese street hawkers are masters of auditory marketing, possessing a creativity that puts Madison Avenue to shame. Forget quiet charm—these vendors lean hard into modern technology. I lost count of how many times I walked past a fruit stall where a tiny, unassuming cart was outfitted with a heavy-duty loudspeaker, cheerfully broadcasting a pre-recorded sales pitch on an infinite loop.
Even if you don't know the word for dragon fruit or lychee, you can't escape the infectious, booming enthusiasm of the invisible announcer hyping up the produce. It’s loud, it’s brilliant, and long after you’ve left the alleyway, that pitch is still bouncing around inside your head.
Perhaps that is the beauty of travel. You don’t always need to understand the language to understand the experience.
Sometimes, the sound itself tells the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment