About the Blog

This is my diary....what I make sense of, around me. You'll find short prose on contemporary topics that interest me. What can you expect - Best adjectives? …. hmm occasionally, tossed around flowery verbs ?…. Nope, haiku-like super-brevity? … I try to. Thanks for dropping by & hope to see you again

May 19, 2009

First impressions....

First impressions are lasting impressions they say but my recent experience tells me that its better not to form one quickly. Getting out of the Senegal airport after a long flight from Adis recently I was surprised by the manner of an especially helpful & polite bystander outside the exit gate. He gave me details on the way to downtown Dakar (also called Dakar Plateau) – route, time taken,nearby landmarks and even placed my luggage into the waiting taxi. Before I could admire his hospitality & say a thank you, the guy with a half cigarette in his mouth nonchalantly said “Monsieur that will be 750 Cifa” .

5 comments:

రామ ShastriX said...

Ha, ha, ha; new way to do a biz.

Anuj Valmiki said...

Indeed an innovative way.. I am normally wary of unsolicited assistants.. In this case, the guy was at least truly helpful, and did not seem to be a cheat or a thief. He took the risk that the customer may pay or may not, or may just pay something... Will give it to him.
I am curious to learn how you concluded the business with him Vasanth!

Vasant Prabhu said...

Initially I was dumbfounded Anuj, recollecting my wits with generous translation help from the taxi driver I bargained & finally settled for about 250 cifa (about 25 Rs)
:(>

Nona said...

:) I had a similar experience in Bucharest. One guy came out of nowhere, welcomed me and took me to his taxi. Finally, he charged double the normal fare! It was illegal taxi. I had no way of knowing since it was my first visit!

Michelle said...

There's the Africa I know so well. :-) Nothing comes for free, not even directions. LOL

Feedburner Count